Sunday, April 17, 2011

A preview to all things Summer


Okay so maybe I should have said, "A preview to all things Summer, regarding FOOD" since this post will revolve around food. We love Summer food so to get us more ready for such wonderful things as fresh produce, fresh fruit, barbecues, cookouts, fresh lemonade, homemade ice cream, sno-cones...(the list could go on and on), we have made a few dishes in anticipation for how much better they will be when it is actually Summer.  Is it wrong that I (we) get so excited about this. Oh well if it is.

Hamburger done right. What is better than this during summer. This was Jeffery's of which he was quite proud. Cheddar cheese, avocado slices, red onion rings, and barbecue sauce. YUM.

We paired the burgers with these fried green beans. This was a recipe called 'Buttermilk Fried Green Beans' which was pretty good...but I prefer another that I used last year from the Neeley's-courtesy of Food Network. Before about half a year ago, I had never had fried green beans and definitely not cooked them myself. I guess a green bean isn't a veggie you think about frying on a daily basis. But, let me say, they are yum and maybe a little more nutritionally sound than their cousin, the fried potato...maybe...

So, the next few pictures are baked goods I have made over the last couple weeks...but they don't really have anything to do with summer. They are good anytime. Especially when family and friends are involved. 




Apple Pie with a Crumb Topping before...

And after...A la mode of course. How else?
 
This doesn't really relate to summer, its good any time. Italian cream cake. One of my favorites. My sister and Campbell were in town last week for a few days while my brother in law, Bryon, was out of town on business. We loved hanging out with them. I made this cake for family dinner dessert while they were here. 
This too doesn't actually relate to summer either, but it was a new recipe I wanted to try out so, while my sis was in town, we tried it. Chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting. Delicious. The perfect balance of sweet and salty...so good. 

Summer will bring ALL sorts of good things. For me, the biggest thing will be the addition of baby girl # 2 (which, yes, at this time remains nameless as we haven't yet decided on 'the' name for her). But along with that, I am certain lots of good food will be mixed in...I will share more as I eat more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment