It has been quite some time since I posted my ideas and visions for some landscaping in our yard. Well, since I know the suspense has been killing you people, I now have something to report. I have two new flower beds, one in front and one in back, new Saint Augustine grass, lots of cleanup around house and to the existing landscapes, and a big smile that it is all done! My dad and Alvaro are excellent landscapers, whether they knew it or not, and I am so thankful that they helped me out. My dad had some great ideas and he made it happen. Yay!
The front bed, the Azalea bush was the really only viable plant to work with, so it stayed and everything else went. Lots of clean out and a new border was made before planting new plants.
Before the planting took place. We now have 4 more Azaleas, 5 Hawthorn shrubs, Periwinkles, 2 new Knockout Rose bushes, Monkey grass, and 4 Cleyera shrubs. Its alot, but it was needed and its looking good!
After planting. Here you can also see the new 'blanket' of Saint Augustine grass in front of the bed. It makes a big difference, a good one.
This is my backyard herb garden box. Jeffery made this for me for Mother's day. I have Rosemary, Cilantro, Parsley, Basil, and Mint planted. They are growing well. The Rosemary looks a little dinky, but only because I have already used it several times for cooking purposes, so it keeps getting snipped!
The new back flower bed. There was an existing landscape but I did a poor job of maintaining it after we moved to the new house. So, it got a big cleaning and what remained was the two bushes seen and the little Crepe Myrtle that you can see in the far right of the picture. Everything else is new, including the new border and new grass in front. I wanted more flowers in the back so this bed is a little more colorful than in the front. It is also a bit of an experiment to see if the old plants are going to hang on and make it. The roots were weak after all the cleaning, so we shall see. Lots of water for now. There were some Lilies in the existing bed that we hope can be salvaged. They have a lot of growing to do. That is what is right in the middle (barely seen in this pic), but its the tall stems sticking up. Other new plants in the back flower bed are Geraniums, Caladiums, Zinnias, and Gerber Daisies.
Most of this work took place last week when Jeffery was out of town in North Dakota seeing some customers. He was pleasantly surprised and happy to see the changes around here. And I am pleasantly hopeful that I will keep it looking good!