Thursday, March 24, 2011

God's hands.

Today I have been pondering God's Hands. During my bible study time this morning, the verses from Isaiah 41 stood out to me and made me think...
    
10 So do not fear, for I am with you; 
   do not be dismayed, for I am your God. 
I will strengthen you and help you; 
   I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

 11 “All who rage against you 
   will surely be ashamed and disgraced; 
those who oppose you 
   will be as nothing and perish. 
12 Though you search for your enemies, 
   you will not find them. 
Those who wage war against you 
   will be as nothing at all. 
13 For I am the LORD your God 
   who takes hold of your right hand 
and says to you, Do not fear; 
   I will help you. 

The picture of God holding my right hand stood out to me and made me begin to think about how He really does hold our hands. How His hand really does guide our steps when we seek it and how His hands form us from the very beginning. All these thoughts had me seeking more verses regarding 'hands'. I wasn't at all surprised to find several (like 30-40) references just in the back of my Bible concordance. I know that is a condensed version, so I looked in my Strong's Concordance of the Bible and there are EIGHT pages (and they are BIG pages) of references referring to the word 'hand' or 'hands'. Now, I know that all of the references listed are not referring to God's hands, but suffice it to say that there is quite a bit of talk of hands in the Good Book. Some of the verses that I looked up and that struck me today in reflecting on the way that God holds my hand were, 

Isaiah 62:3
You will be a crown of splendor in the Lord's hand, a royal diadem in the hand of your God. 

Isaiah 49:16
Behold I have inscribed you on the palms of my hands. 

John 10:27-30
My sheep hear my voice and I know them, and they follow me and I give them eternal life so they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of my hands. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My hands. For I and my Father are one. (Jesus' words)

Wow, so since the Bible tells me these truths that my name was inscribed in His palms, that I am a royal diadem (a diadem is a type of crown, specifically an ornamental headband) in His hands, and that NOTHING could ever snatch me away from His hands, what am I doing with my hands to show gratitude and praise for these promises? Something to ponder...

Psalm 47:1
Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy.

1 Peter 5:7
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.

1 Timothy 2:8
Therefore, I want men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing.




Lord, thank you for your hands, for your mighty and powerful hands. Thank you for the visual image you have given me to see this real today. May my hands give you glory, may my hands lift you up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment